Do you want to improve your communication and presentation skills?
The Flash Talk competition is a research communication competition that will challenge you to present your thesis or dissertation research in just three minutes to a non-specialist audience. You will need to decide on the most important points of your research, craft an interesting and engaging narrative, then deliver in a clear, concise, and confident manner in three minutes or less using only one static PowerPoint slide as a visual aid.
The competition is open to current OUHSC graduate students in good standing who will participate in the GREAT 2018 Symposium and meet the following criteria:
- Students must be enrolled as of Spring 2018 in a master’s program or a doctoral non-professional graduate program.
- Students may enter the competition even if their research results have not been finalized.
Click here to complete your Flash Talk competition entry form and register for the GREAT Symposium 2018. You will need to provide the title of your talk and list all authors involved along with your registration. This form must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on March 19, 2018. The competition will be held during the GREAT Symposium, currently scheduled for Monday, April 9, 2018. Judges will choose an overall First Place winner for each session and audience members will cast votes to choose a People’s Choice winner. Awards, including cash prizes for First Place and for People’s Choice, will be announced at the GREAT Symposium Awards Ceremony on Thursday, April 12, 2018, at 2:30pm at the Samis Auditorium.
Official Rules - Flash Talk Competition
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes will be disqualified.
- Time begins when the competitor begins speaking.
- Competitors must give oral presentations to describe their research from the stage/presentation area; poems, raps or songs (etc.) and/or leaving the stage/presentation are not allowed.
- A single, static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or “movement” of anything on the slide is allowed.
- No additional electronic media (i.e. sound or video files, 3D moving graphics etc) are permitted.
- No additional props (i.e. costumes, musical instruments, lab equipment etc) are permitted.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
Calendar of Events
March 19, 2018
April 3, 2018
April 9, 2018
- Flash Talk competition - session 1, during the GREAT Symposium in the Bird Library Auditorium, LIB 299, from 2:00 – 3:30 pm.
April 10, 2018
- Flash Talk competition - session 2, during the GREAT Symposium in the Bird Library Auditorium, LIB 299, from 3:15-5:00pm
April 12, 2018
- First Place (judged winner) and People’s Choice Awards for Flash Talks and cash prizes will be awarded at the GREAT Symposium Awards Ceremony in the Samis Auditorium, 2:30 pm. Reception immediately following the awards ceremony.
Questions? Contact the Graduate College: