Parent Page: Information For... id: 26951 Active Page: FAQsid:27366

Frequently Asked Questions

Is a Criminal Background Check (CBC) required?

Yes. OUHSC policy requires that all conditionally accepted applicants complete a CBC before enrollment in their program can take place and annually thereafter. Therefore, if you are conditionally accepted into a program you will be required to pay the cost (currently $77) and obtain a CBC from the approved 3rd party vendor following instructions from your graduate program.

What is the GPA, GRE, and TOEFL required for admission to the OUHSC Graduate College?

  • GPA:  Admission in full standing requires a baccalaureate degree or entry level first professional degree from an accredited university or college and a 3.0 (4.0 scale) in the last 60 hours of coursework applied toward the degree. Probationary admission is permitted with permission of the department when a student has between a 2.75 and 2.99 GPA and the above requirements. .
  • The GRE requirement is program specific. 
  • TOEFL: The State Regents for Higher Education require a minimum of 550 paper-based or 79 Internet based score. 

Will graduate coursework taken at another institution be accepted towards a degree?

See section 2.10.8 of the Graduate College Bulletin

How do I become a Special Student?

Special students are accepted under restricted circumstances. Most individuals need one specific course for professional advancement. Acceptance is not permitted to enhance application to a degree program. For details and application portal, see Admissions and Records.

What is the process for faculty and staff to enroll in coursework?

See section 2.10.5 of the Graduate College Bulletin for details. The Faculty/Staff Fee Waiver  form can be found here.

Can I be a Graduate Assistant on the HSC campus if I attend OU Norman?

Yes, OU Norman student appointments will be originated by the department providing the stipend.  See 2.9 of the Graduate College Bulletin for detailed Graduate Assistant Policy. 

Can I enroll in an Graduate College course while I am an undergraduate student?

Junior and senior OU Norman students with a 3.0 cumulative GPA may enroll in OUHSC Graduate College courses with the permission of the OUHSC course director and graduate liaison and the OU Norman advisor and college. Procedure and Enrollment Form