In order for volunteers to be granted IT access and complete all of the required trainings, all volunteers must complete the following hiring process (A Social Security Number is Required).
Step 1: The volunteer will need to identify a mentor who is able and willing to take on a volunteer for a defined amount of time.
Step 2: The mentor and volunteer will begin the volunteer process in the mentor’s department via the departmental hiring manager. This will initiate a criminal background check and grant access to an OUHSC IT account. The following forms will be needed.
*Mentors, please review the "Minors on Campus Policy" if you are mentoring minors face-to-face.
- Release and Confidentiality Agreement Form:
- Volunteer-Mentor Research Experience Form (under 18) Form G: Volunteer-Mentor Form
- Volunteer-Mentor Research Experience Form: Volunteer-Mentor Form
- Background Check Authorization Form for Volunteer: See your Departmental Hiring Manager
(Note: The Mentor will also need a criminal background check if the volunteer is under 18 years of age)
- Proof of Medical Insurance – front and back copy of the volunteer’s personal insurance card.
- Confidential and Proprietary Information Disclosure Form (CPID): CPID
Step 3: Once the criminal background check is cleared and IT user access is granted, the volunteer will need to complete all required trainings (HIPAA, General Biosafety Training, Fire Safety Training, and Laboratory Safety) and any project specific trainings (Bloodborne Pathogens, Research Animal Training, TB Training Human Subjects Training, Radiation Safety, and/or DOT Shipping).
Step 4: After all trainings and all the above listed forms are completed, the volunteer is now able to work in the lab. A complete file should be saved in the office of the mentor’s department and if the volunteer is under the age of 18, the Office of Risk Management should be notified.