Policy for Approval of Junior Faculty to Chair a PhD Dissertation Committee
A Graduate College Level 4 faculty appointment is required to chair a PhD dissertation committee. One of the requirements for this appointment level is that the applicant must present evidence that they have participated in departmental graduate education activities. Junior faculty members will have had only limited opportunity to participate in graduate education activities. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the graduate program to evaluate whether the projected graduate activity level and experience of a junior faculty member is appropriate to chair a PhD dissertation committee.
A junior faculty member is defined as a faculty member who has been appointed at the level of an Assistant Professor (or equivalent) for less than three years. The program should evaluate the following when determining whether to request that a junior faculty member be appointed as a Level 4:
1. Experience of faculty member in mentoring students
2. Current or planned activity in the graduate program and graduate education
3. Current or planned activity that will result in knowledge of the Graduate College and graduate program policies and procedures
Approval of a level 4 appointment for a junior faculty member requires that the department chair or appointed liaison provide written verification as part of the Graduate Faculty appointment application that the program has determined that the junior faculty member meets Graduate College requirements for current or planned activity in the graduate program and graduate education required to chair a PhD dissertation committee. Applicants are still required to meet the publication requirements for a level 4 appointment.
1. Junior faculty member submits online application for level 4 Graduate Faculty appointment.
2. Department evaluates whether current or planned activity by the junior faculty member in the graduate program and graduate education are sufficient for the junior faculty member to chair a PhD dissertation committee for students in that program.
3. Department Chair or appointed liaison submits written verification in the comment box in the online application that the program has determined that the junior faculty member meets Graduate College requirements for current or planned activity in the graduate program and graduate education required to chair a PhD dissertation committee.
Approved by Graduate Council - June 17, 2010