Kevin Michael Brown
Position Title: Graduate Research Assistant
Principal Investigator: Blader, Ira J.
|Institution and Location
||Field of Study
|Oklahoma Christian University
|University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
Positions and Employment
- 2008- Graduate Research Assistant, Microbiology and Immunology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.
- 2007-2008 Research Technician, Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.
- 2006 Undergraduate Research Assistant, Oklahoma Christian University.
Honors and Awards
- 2012 Molecular Parasitology Meeting, PLoS Pathogens Talk Award
- 2012 OU Vision Workshop, Robert E. Anderson Award, Best Talk (Travel Award)
- 2011 American Uveitis Society Travel Award
- 2010 OU Vision Workshop, Robert E. Anderson Award, Best Talk (Travel Award)
- 2008-2009 OUHSC Graduate Program in Biomedical Sciences Scholar Award (Travel Award)
- Brown, K.M., Suvorova, E., Farrell, A., Gubbels, M.J., Marth, G., White, M., and Blader, I.J. Inhibition of Toxoplasma MAPK1 by SB505124 Promotes Tissue Cyst Formation By Altering Cell Cycle Progression. Manuscript in Prep.
- Xu, Yuechi, Brown, K.M., Wang, Z.A., van der Wel, H., Teygong, C., Zhang, D., Blader, I.J., and West, C.M. Toxoplasma Skp1 is Modified by a Cytoplasmic Prolyl 4-Hydroxylase Associated with Oxygen Sensing in the Social Amoeba Dictyostelium. J. Biol. Chem. 2012 May 30, 287, 25098-25110.
- Awasthi, S., Brown, K, King, C., Awasthi, V., and Bondugula, R. A toll-like receptor-4-interacting surfactant protein-A-derived peptide suppresses tumor necrosis factor-α release from mouse JAWS II dendritic cells. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2011 Mar; 336(3):672-81. Epub 2010 Dec 15.
- Wiley, M., Sweeney, K.R., Chan, D.A., Brown, K.M., McMurtrey, C., Howard, E.W., Giaccia, A.J., and Blader, I.J. Toxoplasma gondii activates hypoxia inducible factor by stabilizing the HIF-1 alpha subunit via type I activin like receptor kinase receptor signaling. J. Biol. Chem. jbc.M110.147041 First Published on June 25, 2010, doi:10.1074/jbc.M110.147041
- Brown, K.M. and Blader, I.J. The role of DNA microarrays in Toxoplasma gondii research, the causative agent of ocular toxoplasmosis. J Ocul Biol Dis Infor. 2009 Dec 12;2(4):214-222.
- Awasthi, S., Cropper, J., and Brown, K.M. Developmental expression of Toll-like receptors-2 and -4 in preterm baboon lung. Dev Comp Immunol. 2008;32(9):1088-98. Epub 2008 Mar 18.
Abstracts and Presentations
- Brown, K.M., Suvorova, E., Farrell, A., Gubbels, M.J., Marth, G., White, M., and Blader, I.J. Toxoplasma gondii Growth is Disrupted By a Dual Target Kinase Inhibitor. 2012 Molecular Parasitology. Woods Hole, MA.
- Brown, K.M., Suvorova, E., Farrell, A., Gubbels, M.J., Marth, G., White, M., and Blader, I.J. Lytic Replication of the Retinal Pathogen Toxoplasma gondii Depends on a Host-Regulated Parasite MAP Kinase. 2012 6th Annual OU Vision Workshop. Oklahoma City, OK.
- Brown, K.M. and Blader, I.J. Host Activin-Like Receptor Kinase Signaling Regulates Cell Cycle Progression in Toxoplasma gondii. 2012 Graduate Research Education and Technology Symposium. Oklahoma City, OK.
- Brown, K.M., Charles, E., Joshi, S., Sherry, D.M., Al-Ubaidi, M., Lang, M., and Blader, I.J. Retinal Neurons Express MHC Class II and PD-L1 to Suppress Activated T cells in Toxoplasma gondii-Infected Eyes. 2011 ARVO Meeting, Fort Lauderdale, Fl.
- Brown, K.M. and Blader, I.J. Communication Between Toxoplasma gondii and its Host: Requirement of ALK4,5,7 Signaling for Parasite Growth. 2011 Graduate Research Education and Technology Symposium. Oklahoma City, OK.
- Brown, K.M., Charles, E., Joshi, S., Lang, M., and Blader, I.J. Toxoplasma Infection of the Retina Induces MHC Class II and PD-L1 on Neuroretinal Cells. 2010 Woods Hole Immunoparasitology Meeting, Woods Hole, MA. (Also presented at 2010 University of Oklahoma Vision Workshop, Oklahoma City, OK).
2010-2011 NIAID Immunology Training Program, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
Brown, K.M. Menendez, M., and Blader, I.J. Cell Signaling at the Parasitophorous Vacuole. Mercier, C., and Delauw, M (Eds.). Toxoplasma gondii/Host Cell Interactions: Recent Advances. In prep.
- 2012-present. Seminar Series Working Group. Dept. Microbiology and Immunology, OUHSC.
- 2012-present. Endowment Fund Committee. Dept. Microbiology and Immunology, OUHSC.
- Ira Blader, Ph.D. Mentor. Ira-Blader@ouhsc.edu
- William Hildebrand, Ph.D. Advisory Committee Member.
- Jimmy Ballard, Ph.D. Dept. of Microbiology and Immunology Chair. Jimmy-Ballard@ouhsc.edu
Kevin Michael Brown
Graduate Research Assistant