Do you want to improve your communication and presentation skills?
The Flash Talk competition is a research communication competition that will challenge you to present your thesis or dissertation research in just three minutes to a non-specialist audience. You will need to decide on the most important points of your research, craft an interesting and engaging narrative, then deliver in a clear, concise, and confident manner in three minutes or less using only one static PowerPoint slide as a visual aid.
The competition is open to current OUHSC graduate students in good standing who will participate in the GREAT 2017 Symposium and meet the following criteria:
- Students must be enrolled as of Spring 2017 in a master’s program or a doctoral non-professional graduate program.
- Students may enter the competition even if their research results have not been finalized.
Click here to complete your Flash Talk competition entry form and register for the GREAT Symposium 2017. You will need to provide the title of your talk and list all authors involved along with your registration. This form must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on February 23, 2017. The competition will be held during the GREAT Symposium, currently scheduled for Wednesday, March 29, 2017. Judges will choose an overall First Place winner for each session and audience members will cast votes to choose a People’s Choice winner. Awards, including cash prizes for First Place and for People’s Choice, will be announced at the GREAT Symposium Awards Ceremony on Thursday, March 30, 2017, at 2:30pm at the Samis Auditorium.
Official Rules - Flash Talk Competition
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes will be disqualified.
- Time begins when the competitor begins speaking.
- Competitors must give oral presentations to describe their research from the stage/presentation area; poems, raps or songs (etc.) and/or leaving the stage/presentation are not allowed.
- A single, static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or “movement” of anything on the slide is allowed.
- No additional electronic media (i.e. sound or video files, 3D moving graphics etc) are permitted.
- No additional props (i.e. costumes, musical instruments, lab equipment etc) are permitted.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
Calendar of Events
February 23, 2017
March 29, 2017
- Flash Talk competition will take place during the GREAT Symposium in the Bird Library Auditorium, LIB 299, tentatively scheduled from 2:00 – 5:00 pm. (Competition date/time subject to change depending on number of submissions received by the Graduate College).
March 30, 2017
- First Place and People’s Choice Award for Flash Talks announced and cash prizes will be awarded at the GREAT Symposium Awards Ceremony in the Samis Auditorium, 2:30 pm.
Questions? Contact the Graduate College: